As a manufacturer, you make money on the shop floor. Therefore to grow and increase profitability, you need real-time visibility of every detail involved in the manufacturing process. Production management is an essential component in any manufacturing software solution to achieving this company-wide visibility. In this second part of our Manufacturing Tools series, (read Part 1 on Bill of Materials/Routing and Part 2 on MRP) we’ll look at how Acumatica’s Production Management Software can effectively and successfully support multiple types of manufacturing.
What is Production Management Software?
Production management is the planning and control of manufacturing processes to ensure that everything moves smoothly, and at the required level. In the manufacturing context, production management includes responsibility for product and process design, planning and control issues involving capacity and quality as well as, organization and supervision of employees.
Production management software has two primary purposes. First, to ensure that operations are performed according to plan. Second, to continuously monitor and evaluate the production plan to see if modifications can be made to better meet cost, quality, delivery, flexibility, or other objectives.
What can Production Management Software Do for My Business?
Acumatica’s Production Management Module, gives you the ability to track material and labour costs, schedule production on the shop floor and allows you to compare the estimated/planned/standard production costs to the actual costs of the production order. The module can support multiple types of manufacturing including:
- Make-to-stock (MTS)
- Make-to-order (MTO)
- Engineer-to-order (ETO)
- Configure-to-order (CTO)
- Job shop
One of the critical features of the software is the ability to manufacture bills of materials revisions, substitute operations and materials as desired. For project-centric manufacturers, project accounting integration creates production orders from project tasks. With this integration, the software updates projects with manufacturing information and aggregates cost tracking over multiple production runs so businesses can determine profitability for large jobs and contracts.
Key Benefits of Acumatica’s Production Management Module
- Manage your entire business with complete real-time information on your operations
- Coordinate labour, machines, and inventory, and optimize them for your company’s processes
Stay on One Platform as You Grow
- Adapt the software to meet your changing needs
- Leverage powerful features and functions for multiple production environments
Handle Production Order Changes Easily
- Build prior or alternate bills of material revisions
- Substitute operations and/or materials on a production order
Enhance Lot/Serial Tracking
- Full lot and serial traceability throughout an item’s lifecycle
- Lot and serial numbers can be assigned or manually entered through purchase receipts, inventory issues and shop floor control transactions
Production Order Tracking
- Use manufacturing operations management software to capture total manufacturing costs, including material, labour, machine, tool, overhead and outside processes
- Employ multiple scheduling options including both forward and backward manufacturing scheduling methods
- Monitor and manage performance with detailed reports, including actual vs. standard/planned costs by specified element – labour material, machine, tools, fixed and variable overheads
Want to learn more about ERP software? Check out the other posts in our What is ERP series! (Financial Tools: Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, General Ledger; Distribution Management: Advanced Inventory Management, Purchase Order Management, Sales Order Management; Manufacturing Management: Bills of Material/Routing, Material Requirements Planning, and Production Management)
Think Acumatica’s Manufacturing Management Software could be a game-changer for your business? Find out more here.
Remember, the company you choose to implement your software dictates the success or failure of your software investment. At Aqurus, we’re passionate about providing superior ERP solutions and support.